Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, January 29, 2007

Potential band names and/or album titles

Guitar Pastor is leaving town in about two weeks, so I’m allowing myself one more evening of blowing off my Dissertation in favor of hanging out with him. Found a few more CDs I’d like to show him, and hopefully he’ll have a few to inflict upon me as well.

In preparation for getting together tomorrow night, I’ve printed out copies of my ‘’Potential Band Names and/or Album Titles’’ file. As regular readers of my blog have probably surmised, I keep a running list of catchy phrases that might become - - well, good band names or album titles. My oldest-listed one is from June of 1998.

After printing them, I tallied them up: Forty-two that would be good band and/or album names, and twenty-seven that would be good album titles (but probably not work as a band name). And - - in my opinion - - most of them are pretty good. ;)

The reason I printed them out is that I’d like Guitar Pastor (and his wife, if she’s interested) to have a glance through and help me pick out the top five or so. Even though Guitar Pastor is moving away, both his and his wife’s parents live here in town - - so, he’ll be back for holidays and visits. I’d like him to form a musical ‘’project’’ with me, and if we do that, we’ll need some sort of name.

I used to think it was pretentious for musicians to refer to their teaming up with other musos as a ‘’project’’, instead of just calling it a band - - but now I understand the distinction: If it’s a one-off, or highly intermittent, thing, then it’s not a proper ‘’band’’. Hence, a ‘’project.’’


--GG

2 Comments:

At February 03, 2007 12:52 AM, Blogger K. said...

You should post the list of band/album names.

Unless that is, you are worried about someone stealing them.

-K.

 
At February 03, 2007 10:45 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Someday. First, I need to reserve a handful of the ''best'' ones for my own, world-conquoring band.

Then I'll post the rest.

Flattered that you think someone would be interested.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home