Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cantaloupe

...'cause we don't have a ladder.

For lunch today, I ate an entire cantaloupe. Healthy, although not nutritionally balanced, I suppose.


During the summer months, I like making cantaloupe slushies. Reasonably nutritious, and no added sugar (the cantaloupe is sweet enough!). Takes up room in the freezer, though, which we don't have at our current place (small 'fridge); I'll do it at our new place, though.

THE BASIC RECIPE:

-Cut up cantaloupe into approx. cubes
-Freeze 'em (I put them in a jumbo margarine tub; some sort of plastic container, with a lid)
-Grab a bunch of the cubes and put them in the blender
-Add milk (soy milk works fine) for smoothness, and to dilute it a bit
-Blend; if it gets too thick, add more milk
-Ayep!

As I was thinking about my cantaloupe slushies as I ate my lunch, I remembered that the cubes of cantaloupe would often freeze together, making it difficult to break off the desired amount for my slushie. An improvement might be to put the fresh cantaloupe in the blender, make a puree (like applesauce, but out of cantaloupe), and pour it into a **lot** of ice cube trays. Then, use the ''cantaloupe-cubes'' as needed. Plastic cheapie ice cub trays are pretty inexpensive now-a-days; they seem to turn up at garage sales a lot, too.


Here in Aussie-land, ''cantaloupes'' are called ''rock melons''. Just in case you visit here, and need to go produce shopping.

And, in writing this blog entry, I realized that I can't spell ''recipe'' and ''cantaloupe'' without referencing the spell-checker. Sad.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home