Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, January 06, 2007

My most genius idea EVER

Our plans for accommodating my various hobbies -- and storage of our many, many boxes until we're able to sort through them all -- has gone through many permutations. The nearly-current plan was that we would build a small-to-medium-sized shed for my woodworking-plus-box-storage, and then when we could afford it (3-5 years hence?), build the mega-shed as well. In the mean time, the boxes would be out of the house, and I'd have somewhere to do my woodworking.

The NEWEST incarnation, however, is to build the mega-shed from the get-go. (This assumes we can afford it; we still need to crunch the numbers.) Since most of the cost would be in the acoustic treatment I'd apply, the shed itself -- basically, the size of a bare-bones two-car garage -- wouldn't cost much more than the size of my ''boxes-plus-woodshed'' we were leaning towards, anyhow. Building just the big shed, rather than a woodshed and then the mega-shed later, would limit the proliferation of misc. sheds in the back yard -- which would please The Lady.

During the transitional period (again, the next 3-5 years), I'd set up my music gear in the spare bedroom. My woodworking stuff I'd set up in one corner of the two-car garage (which will never actually house a car), and we'd just throw sheets over the boxes, to keep the sawdust off. (Or, tape the tops shut, and not worry about it.) Eventually, we'd wall in the woodshop area, build shelves along one wall for the boxes (and suitcases, Christmas ornaments, etc.), and very eventually do all the fancy sound-insulating acoustic treatment that I'd like. Eventually.

My brilliant idea is this: During the transitional period, instead of stacking the boxes, spread them out as a single layer, and shape them into mazes. **Then**, get a few Big Wheels and Green Machines (Green Machines come in adult sizes!!! Up to 180 lbs., IIRC), and chase each other around the ''track''. Lay out some directional arrows, to avoid head-on-collisions. And, if I could get ahold of some sort of Nerf (soft foam) projectile launcher, I could mount them to the handlebars, and we could have dogfights!!! Either free-for-all (playing ''tag''?), or in teams.

I've always wanted to have bumper cars in my back yard, but I knew in my heart that I never would. Perhaps this is a dream fulfilled...


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home