Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, December 08, 2006

Opportunity to teach (and earn $$$)

Just received an e-mail from The Lady's department, asking me if I'm willing to teach the undergraduate, and the graduate-level, ''Advanced Criminological Theory'' courses for Semester 1, 2007. (Because we're in the other hemisphere, 1st semester runs from Feb. 26th to June 23rd; ''Christmas vacation'' is thus also ''summer vacation''; I'm **still** not completely used to this!)

I haven't taught these specific courses before -- although it **is** within my area of knowledge/interest -- so there'll be a fair bit of running around, working up the weekly topics, gathering up readings, and maybe choosing a textbook (although I tend towards using the original readings, and fill in the gaps and background in lecture). Should be fun, though! And, the extra money will be nice.

Dissertation progress -- not surprisingly -- is lagging behind what I had hoped. End of Dec. is unlikely; more likely end of January, maybe sometime in Feb. But, the timing works out well: some half-time work (the above-mentioned two classes to teach) while I'm finishing things off; then, some more permanent, full-time employment opportunities will present themselves.

As I've mentioned before, we live in a capitol city, so there's three universities with Criminology programs, plus lots of government agencies. So, once I get my Ph.D., **something** will turn up.

Or, I could just go work at a record store -- which I probably what I should've done as a summer job during college. Ah well. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home