Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Why is my body falling apart?

Until about two weeks ago, I always considered myself a reasonably healthy guy. Oh, sure, my desk job, followed by my Dissertation work, have colluded with my middle-age-instigated slowing metabolism to give me a bit of a spare tire -- but except for the very occasional cold or flu, no major health problems. When someone in the house gets sick, it's either The Lady, or The Kid, or both: it passes me over, or else I get the half-strength, half-duration version.

But: Getting a flu that The Lady didn't (for a change!); my mystery allergy; my one-and-a-half-day sleeping sickness; and now this!

Last night, about 6:30pm, just as I had carried The Kid in from her evening bath, the room started spinning. Abruptly. Weird.

Immediately set her down on the bed, haphazardly tossed a diaper on her (to prevent accidents), and kneeled by the bed, head on the mattress. Of course, The Kid took this as her cue to play Climb on Daddy, and broke into fake tears [it's a phase; she puts on tears when she's reprimanded] when Daddy said, ''No Dear, not right now.''

Unfortunately, I was home alone with The Kid, as The Lady was out for drinks with co-workers in honor of someone leaving the department for greater things. Felt like I might potentially pass out... although I've never passed out before, so I wasn't sure what it felt like. After a few minutes of struggling to not fall off the floor, I climbed up on the bed and lay down. More minor debates with The Kid; more tears.

Suddenly remembered that when you feel faint, you should put your feet up, to help concentrate the blood towards the important stuff. Did this; maybe helped, but not sure.

Worse if I closed my eyes: When I feel ''off'', my instinct is to close my eyes -- but that just causes a ''whoosh'' sensation that's even worse. Keeping my eyes open and staring at a fixed object across the room (or on the ceiling, when I was lying down) provided structure.

After a bit, everything stabilized, but I was still a bit concerned about being alone with The Kid. So, phoned across the road to Mum, who came across to keep an eye on me until The Lady returned home.

The room-spinniness lasted the rest of the night. However, it improved such that I could prop my head up and watch t.v. or read: much less boring. But if I turned my head too suddenly, or got up to use the bathroom or brush my teeth -- hoo baby!

To a certain extent, I just embraced it. Like a carnival fun house: just be sure to hold your arms out to the side, for balance. Wacky.


And then, the next morning (today)... I'm fine. Well, just a touch of light-headedness. But 95% fine.

So: What was that all about? And, why is my body being so unreliable lately?


And: What's next?


--GG

1 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave'ola says: "Great scott!"

Aside from my (totally useless but legitimately concerned thoughts) comment, here is what Furniture Gal has to say, translated somewhat haphazardly by me:

"It could be neurological. These problems started to happen after you had the analphalptic shock episode last month...

"Consider West Nile virus which presents itself with neurological symptoms, not the usual flu symptoms. It requires a special test, but can be performed.

"A sudden drop in blood pressure can also create that "whoosh" and diseyness feeling; that requires monitoring over a period of time which you can easily do yourself (social scientist that you are ;-) Severe dehydration can also do that. Consider hypoglycemia/diabetic stuff too.

"Are you having nausea or vomiting with this? Any vision changes (acquity)? Any loss of hearing or continuing balance issues? Malaise, fever, anorexia, episodes of confusion, eye pain or headaches? Any numbness in any extremities, whether arm or pinky, ear lobe, etc.

"Also consider Meniere's disease. A lot of the time it results from auto-immune functions like some of the reactions similar to what you had.

"You need to get a complete blood work-up, check on your iron, thyroid, kidneys, hemoglobin levels; also get a toxicology workup done on your blood (to rule out pesticide contamination). Head CT or head MRI to see if there are any neurological changes, bleeds, any type of aneurism. Check for meningitis (which entails a lumbar puncture for testing unfortunately).

"The first thing [Furniture Gal] would do (if having similar issues that you describe) would be to have a head CT done and a comprehensive -- I mean comprehensive -- blood work-up done, including blood sugar levels. After that, go down the symptom list and additional tests. And get it taken care of right away, not wait. "

Dave'ola also says, "[She] thinks that you already know most (if not all) of these things, but sometimes it helps to bring something out into the open as far as reflection and thought to hear it."

NOTE: None of this should be interpreted as medical advice. No warranties, either express or implied, are hereby given. All advice is supplied as is, without guarantee. The reader assumes all responsibility for damages resulting from the use of said advice, including, but not limited to, frustration, disgust, general malfeasance, floods, fires, shark attack, nerve gas, locust infestation, cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, local electromagnetic disruptions, hydraulic brake system failure, invasion, dogs piddling on the carpet, cosmic radiation, windstorms, the Riders of Nazgul, infuriated chickens, malfunctioning kitchen appliances, peasant uprisings, halitosis, artillery bombardment, explosions, cave-ins, and/or frogs falling from the sky. Especially the bit about the frogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home