Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Aussie high school reunion

Last night, was The Lady's guest at her high school reunion. Man!!! -- never seen that many 37yo Aussies in one place. ;)

Similar to what happened at my 10yr reunion (oh so many years ago), the main people she hung out with in high school didn't show up. (Except for one.) I was arm candy, the exotic imported American husband -- which was fine with me.

Apparently, I'm a flirt -- although I just call it ''being nice to people, and talking to salesclerks and waitstaff like they're regular people'', and The Lady admits I do it with the guys as well as the gals. Anyhow, possibly because I was friendly to the lady behind the bar (about the age of my college students), I kept getting mine and The Lady's soft drinks for $2.20 for the pair. Even my weird, non-alcoholic blended drink, I got for $2.20 the pair. Of course, I tipped her (tipping's ambiguous in Aussie-land; not the norm, like in the U.S.) -- but the bargain drinks happened even before then. Dunno.

Cover charge for the reunion was twenty bucks a head. Every half hour or so, they brought around these teeny little appetizers. Then, about two hours in to it, they finally brought out fancy pizza, and flavored thick-cut french fries. The rest of the grown-ups were being too dainty to dig in, but after it was clear that no one else was going to consume this food, and everything was starting to get cold... I attempted to eat my twenty dollars worth.

Came pretty close. :)


The decor in the bathrooms (hey -- I drank a lot of sody-pop!) was weird: The decor must've been ''prison chic'', as the toilets were the stainless steel jobbies like you see in jail. (Never been incarcerated -- but I've done interviewing work in jails.) The non-sinks were interesting, too: Imagine a long, white plastic cutting board, slightly tilted towards the rear wall, with a trough across the back. That was it. The water from the faucet came down, hit the board, and what minimal spray and splashing there was (the faucets had diffusers) splashed away from the user. Pretty clever, actually.


Coincidentally, I just finished reading this blog entry about toilet habits. Some things just line up...


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home