Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vague sadness over gone guitar

Way back in May of this year (it's now August, of course), I posted a blog entry about a guitar at a pawn shop that was nifty on two accounts: it was green; and my first name was the brand name. And, it would hold a valid place in my collection: was a steel-string acoustic, which I no longer have in my arsenel.

However, it was more expensive than my usual ''bottom-feeding'' inclinations would allow (AU$350, IRRC -- I go more for the AU$150-$190 range). It seemed a bit indulgent to pay that much **just** because it was green, or had my name -- particularly since (1) the tone wasn't that impressive (there were several AU$180-ish guitars that had a much richer tone), and (2) IIRC, it's not like it had any electronics on board -- so it was essentially overpriced.

Hemmed and hawed, and never went back for it. Every time I considered getting it, I realized I had a more visceral (sp?) pull towards a white, one-pickup single-coil I'd seen at another pawn shop for about AU$110. Given that I've slightly overspent my ''spending money'' budget, and that we're a one-income family until I finish my Ph.D. Dissertation (and then get a job), I just... couldn't... justify... it.

Was running errands today (three months later), and happened to be passing within a few blocks, with time to spare. Went in to see if it was still there -- and of course, it wasn't.

Mild sadness -- but thankfully, no feeling of regret. I'm comfortable with my not having bought it.

Ah -- but if only it had had a nicer tone...!


There was an electric bass there, though -- a blue-green color -- with two pickups. AU$89. Good price -- but what's wrong with it? (Visually, seemed fine. Maybe the electronics are wonky?)


--GG

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2006 4:25 AM, Blogger K. said...

Perhaps you could combine your wood-working skills and guitar-playing skills, and make your own green guitar.

I used to know a self-taught luthier. He said acoustic guitars were pretty tough to build but electrics were easy. Wish I was skilled in the art of instrument making.

-K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home