Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Temporary finishing room

Sometime after the house is built, I'll have my own little woodshed out back. Until then, I'm having to improvise.

My recent acquisition of a pile o' tools that need some mild attention let me to use the kitchen table for a while (with newspaper underneath!). During the evening; after a long day of Dissertation-writing, of course! But when my cleaning efforts were resting/drying (process: a wipe of denatured alcohol to remove the grime, then a wipe or two of a boiled linseed oil [BLO] and turpentine mix for the wooden parts, and possibly a light rubbing of wax on the metal parts, to prevent further rust), it stunk up the house. Generally I like the smell of BLO; but not permeating the house.

Solution: the laundry room. The top of the washer and drier are a nice, flat, reasonably stable surface. And until the next load of laundry, I can leave things lying there, between applications. And -- most importantly -- the door to the rest of the house shuts, and there's a window directly to the outside. :)

(Pictured: on the left, trysquare and tenon saw; on the right, brace, bricklayer's trowel (in foreground, with can of ''filler'' putty and jar of home-brew BLO and turps ''tool handle'' mix), and (in background) the funny bench-thingy with an extra hammer handle on top.)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home