Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

G.I.T. indoctrination

Usually, my very nice mother-in-law (lives across the road) watches The Kid during the week, while The Lady and I do employment-type things. But on Tuesdays I take The Kid for the day, just to give Mum a break. And, today is Tuesday.

Whenever I have a few hours ((obligatory Dissertation plug: when I'm not hard at work on my Dissertation)), I've been trying to squeeze in a little time for woodworking with hand tools. Keeps me happier.

I'm trying to rescue a broken hammer handle, and match it up to a spare hatchet head I picked up for a dollar a few years back. I'm taking pics of each stage, and keeping a log [woodworking pun?] of my progress: When I complete it, I'll post it as a unified blog entry.

This afternoon I was cutting some wood, wedged into my off-brand Workmate(TM) clone. (Note: Got it at a clearance sale. Best AU$50 [US$37] I ever spent.) The Kid seemed interested, so I got her involved.

(Sorry: The framings a little off. Had to use the auto-timer on the camera, since I was the only grown-up at home.)

She couldn't reach the saw from standing on the Workmutt's step, so I had her stand on the benchtop -- with support, of course.



Never too early to be a G.I.T., eh?

(For the un-initiated, ''G.I.T.'' is a Galoot-in-Training; an young apprentice in the way of woodworking with handtools. An in-joke.)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home