Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Escalation of instruments

Back when I first started doing music, my cousin got better at the electric guitar as a faster rate than I did -- probably because he actually practiced. To compensate, I bought more effects pedals.

Over the years, I've continued to buy more effects pedals -- and guitars -- probably as some subconscious effort to make me feel like I'm still ''in the game'': ''See, I'm a musician: look at all the gear I own!''

I think that behavior is still continuing. I already have a trombone, and acquired a trumpet from my maternal grandparents (it had belonged to a friend of theirs). But, I was browsing e-bay for something else, and got a hit on what was listed, and described, as a ''trumpet'', but is really a coronet (or pocket trumpet? not sure). Figuring that its mis-listing might keep the price down, I bid -- and got it. AU$67 [US$50], including shipping -- not bad! Photo below.

Why do I need one of these, when I already have a regular trumpet, and a trombone? Well, partly because it expands my tonal palette -- it'll have a brighter sound than my existing trumpet. Partly because I don't have one yet, and it's a good price. And partly because I've learned that Kevin, of PPHP House Band fame, has actually been practicing on **his** trumpet, and getting better. So: time to get gear!

The non-trumpet-selling person also had a few others he was selling. Bid a lower amount on another one (this time, more likely to be a coronet, rather than a pocket trumpet) -- and also got it! AU$48 [US$36], which is an even better price! Photo below.


Ayep! Still have to send payment for the first second one. The first one apparently arrived at the local post office yesterday (rcv'd the green "package for you" slip in the mailbox). Will pick up the first one today, after work.

And I'm now officially overdrawn on my ''personal spending money'' home budget. ;)


--GG


UPDATE: A brief Google image search indicates I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. The bottom one may be a pocket trumpet, and the **top** one a cornonet. Maybe. Anyone know?

1 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 12:22 AM, Blogger K. said...

Not sure how much longer I can keep up the trumpeting. I'm expecting an angry mob with torches to show up at our door any day now.

I believe the 1st one is a coronet, and the 2nd a pocket trumpet, but I could be mistaken.

-K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home