Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Music instrument, nifty chair

Had these to photos kicking around for a while, just now getting around to posting.

This first one is of Ralphie sniffing at the nifty musical instrument that my wife's sister got me for my birthday (back in November!!! big time lag). It's called a saw-duang, from Thailand. It's pretty much the same as a Chinese er-hu -- two strings, with a bow threaded between them. Haven't had a chance to play with it much, though -- largely because it needs repairs: the over-zealous Customs and Quarentine guy cut out the snakeskin resonator head, so I need to rig up some sort of replacement. Yet another WIFMD(TM) project, which I'm looking forward to. :)


The next two shots are from December third, when I saw them at an antique mall and happened to have my digital camera with me. Apparently it's a ''telephone table'': the telephone goes on the table, and you can sit conveniently close to it and chat.


My immediate thought was ''That'd make an excellent songwriting chair!!!'' I usually compose on the guitar, and I'm right-handed, so the guitar neck points to the left. I'd have a notepad on the table... perfect!


I would've paid maybe AU$150 for it, but they were asking (I think) AU$300. Too steep; ah well. Plus, we're still crammed into our current house (still have a desk tipped up on its end, for example, sitting in front of the still-crated piano) -- no room.

But, now that I know they exist, I can keep an eye out in the weekly classifieds. Saw another, less expensive one that day, but I didn't like it as much as this one.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home