Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Tidied veranda and face

Back on Monday, Jan. 9th, I stayed home from work (as usual for Mondays) and rearranged the veranda with Tall Guy. Due to the painting of my office in the Social Science department (separate from my ''work office''), I had to vacate. Rather than request a different office, I just decided to haul everything home. Took all of last week, ferrying home a back seat plus boot (or ''trunk'') full every day after work. But, didn't have to come in on an extra day to do it, so it worked out well.

OTOH, it overloaded our home's capacity for boxes. So, TG and I reckoned we'd have to sort, tidy, and generally re-arrange the veranda. In preparation for this, on Sunday we spent the afternoon clearing out one of the old sheds in the backyard. One full wall, two partial walls (about shoulder-height), and no front (just the vertical joists and the door). Some rotton floorboards, but we just laid planks across the rotten bits and figured it'd hold until the new house gets built. The floor joists seemed fine.

But, I got so hot and sweaty hauling things around that I decided to shave off the facial hair, plus shorten the scalp hair.

Before:

However, despite my having lived here for over two years, I still don't have a fully-intuitive sense of the metric system. Thought I'd grab a narrower spacer for my electric clippers than usual, since the aim was to stay cool. ''9mm -- sounds good!'' Took a swipe, realized that was a tad short -- but, too late -- had to keep going.

After:



(Thanks to The Lady for taking the pics!)


It's been a week and a half, and I'm (mostly) used to it -- although a bit more receding and grey and I remember. ;)

I think my forehead shape resembles my maternal grandfather's.


--GG

4 Comments:

At January 20, 2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new 'do. You look much younger--especially without the facial hair. Younger hip 30-something vs. tweedy young fogey. Just my two cents.

Dan

 
At January 20, 2006 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! Weird how much you look like me with your hair shaved off, even considering that we're brothers. . .

 
At January 20, 2006 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had longer hair when you were born. You don't look like you now, but more like other people in your distinguished family. It was quite a disguise.

 
At January 23, 2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the shaving of your head and your beard looks nice. I think it'll look even better in a few weeks, when it's not quite so short.

What is the temperature there now? Humidity? Does the lack of fur feel cooler?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home