Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Another spider pic

Not that other places don't get spiders. But it seems like big ones are pretty normal around here. And there's scads of them, in nooks and crannies. Could be that we don't have flyscreens on the windows, though, so they just wander in. Probably a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

The above photo is from mid-October of last year. Keep meaning to post i, but haven't. Note the spider's size in relation to my hand. It's crawing up the kitchen window, IIRC.

And, the below photo is from late November. It's on the windowframe, to the right of the kitchen window.


Note that I'm not actually touching them -- just putting my hand near them, for sizing purposes. I'm pretty sure they're not venomous, but it's possible they could hurt a little (like a bee sting). And, you know -- probably not venomous.

Except for marveling at their niftiness of size, I'm no longer weirded out by having spiders around.

But, I still don't touch 'em.


--GG

3 Comments:

At January 29, 2006 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Amazing sizes! Wow! Yuck! Do they ever crawl on you while you're sleeping? How do you know?

 
At January 30, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I would move if those were in my house.

 
At February 01, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Well, they're not **that** common. :) Rare enough for me to run get the camera when they appear.

Every 2-3 months I spy a big one.

A novelty for we ex-Seattle-ites. If you don't like 'em, just don't pet 'em. ;) (I have yet to touch one.)

Mildy surprised you don't get similar critters in TX.


-GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home