Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Are they ''developers''?

As part of my resistance to Orwell-speak (e.g. ''Peacekeeper'' missiles), I've taken to referring to ''developers'' as ''builders.''

''Developers'' means they take things and make them better -- they improve, they upgrade, the take something mediocre and evolve it.

Whereas, IMO, they just knock down trees (or, older buildings), and put up apartment buildings, strip malls, and housing estates. Which sometimes are needed -- but often are not.

By definition, they do build. But they do not necessarily develop.

Ayep.


--GG

1 Comments:

At January 15, 2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thinking. I think I will try to call them "builders" as well whenever possible.
One couple ("builders") I had to work with recently clearcut their entire, previously thickly forested, 29 acre property. Now they don't want to build their house in the 2 acre area previously approved, because "Would YOU want to build there? There's no privacy there!"
I replied yes, I would build there, because *I* wouldn't have clearcut every single tree on the property, especially those between the house and the road. People can be stupid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home