Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Tadpole rescue

A few days ago I noticed, as I was leaving the car, that there were tadpoles in the series of mud puddles in front of our carport. This means that we've been inadverently bonking them on the head every time we arrived or left (Sorry!!!). :(

Here's a closer view of one of the mud puddles. As you can see, it's clear enough to see things on the bottom.


Thus, I mounted a Tadpole Rescue Mission. I knelt near each of the populated puddles with a soft drink cup, scooping up each tadpole (and accidentally, a bit of mud) whenever I saw one, and dumped it into a small bucket.

You can see my boot print (circled in red), which gives a sense of scale, as well as a sense of squooshiness.



I then dumped some of them into an alternative mud puddle, in our back yard, which is fairly permanent during the rainy season -- as well as out of the way of the car.



But most of them, I dumped in the kids' plastic wading pool.


I showed the tadpoles to the kids, and they were pretty interested.

Some of the tadpoles have hind legs, and two or three have leetle front legs. Cute!!!


--GG

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 29, 2011 5:21 PM, Anonymous giovanna said...

Good for you for saving wildlife! Can you tell if they are cane toads or some other invasive non-native creature, or if they are a native creature?
Is the kiddiepool water in the shade and cool enough? Warm water can't hold as much oxygen as cold water, and thus can asphixiate (sp?) underwater dwellers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home