Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Front porch workshop

It's been raining a lot lately, so I haven't been able to saw wood on the back "porch" like I usually do: the only cover is the eaves, which still gets me wet if it's blowing to any amount.

So, I've shifted my operations to the front porch. (Photo to left; click to enlarge -- if you want to.) I've put a yellow box around my "sawbuck" to hold round-bottomed things to saw (e.g., small logs), in the upper left of the photo. Also my saw table (bottom center), for things that are fairly flat on the bottom.

Below is an example of the slabs I'm sawing off: this is wattle, from one of the trees that blew over in my brother-in-law's yard. In about a year, I'll use it as raw material for modifying an inexpensive electric guitar that I have.



In general though, I'm just sawing logs into quarters -- the long way!!! -- to minimize their splitting as they dry. Eventually I'll cut them into lumber. By then, though, I hope to have a bandsaw!


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home