Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, December 24, 2010

Interesting dream

Hm! Dreamed that it was the end of the semester at college and I hadn't done **any** work for **any** of my courses: none of the assignments, none of the readings, not even attended any lectures. Was wondering how badly that would nuke my grade-point average; considered approaching each of my profs to see if I could get one of those "no g.p.a. penalty withdrawls", where they sign something saying that I had, in effect, not done **anything** for that course, and thus to just strike it from the books.

Then I realized that perhaps I wasn't doing any of my coursework because I hated my major: maybe I should do something completely different -- major in what I **wanted** to do, rather than what I "should" do (but was completely boring to me). Decided that next semester I'd enroll in the sound design program, which is where you come up with sound effects and background noises (e.g. "interior of a busy spaceship") -- and immediately felt relieved.

(I briefly thought about music recording technology, but realized that taking that course would squeeze the personal enjoyment out of my songwriting/recording.)


PROBABLE INFLUENCES:

1) Talking with D. at church about his enrolling in a Music Technology program next semester (he'll concentrate on live sound reinforcement, but will also gain a background in audio recording).

2) Wishing I had more time to record.

3) Having taken so long to finish my dissertation.

4) Being **sooo** past the point (i.e., dosed out) of enrolling in any sort of degree program.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home