Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, December 11, 2010

My little adventure

The Lady is back from her trip -- but while she was gone, I had a little adventure.

Even though I've lived here more than six years, I still don't know most of Brisbane very well: I tend to go straight to work and back. But, there's a vintage guitar and amp shop near the downtown area that I've been meaning to check out for about a year. It's called Tym's Guitars, and I've been hearing about it through the free weekly local music rag.

Usually The Lady is the one to take B2 to his "deaf kid" speech therapy classes, but since she was away, I did it. Afterwards, since we were already two-thirds of the way to downtown, I spontaneously decided to go check out Tym's Guitars. I looked up the address in the Refedex, and we were off!

I managed to get there fairly directly, with only a few wrong turns. The most difficult part was when I was within a few blocks, missed a turnoff, and then got blocked from doubling back by a series of one-way and "no turn allowed" streets. Gah!

Once I found it, I couldn't find anywhere to park -- being quasi-downtown. So I stashed the car in the parking lot of a sound and light rental place, chatted with the sales clerk and grabbed a catalog -- thereby making me a "customer" (i.e., "customer parking only"!) -- and then went across the street to Tym's guitars.

With two two-year-old boys with me. ;)

Because of the boys, I wasn't able to have a **good** look -- but it was indeed pretty neat-o: lots of vintage amps, guitars, and effects pedals. Unfortunately, none of them appeared to be within my "bottom feeder" price range. One of these days, though, I'll actually spring for a **good** guitar amp (AU$1,500-ish?) -- in which case, I'll probably come here.

And because they don't have wide range of prices -- and because parking's a nuisance -- I don't see myself visiting on a regular basis. So, not nearly as good at the Trading Musician, in Seattle.


But: a nice little adventure. And I even found my way home! :)


--GG

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At December 25, 2010 8:18 AM, Anonymous Giovanna said...

If parking is a nuisance, perhaps the bus or other mass transit could make it an adventure for another day?

 
At December 28, 2010 10:19 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Maybe. We're located goofy, relative to the bus system.


--GG

 
At December 28, 2010 10:20 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Oh: But it **is** downtown-y -- so the busses would (presumably) go nearby it.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home