Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Herby

I like herbs, I've decided. Not for cooking -- although that's a good idea, too.

Mostly, though, I like walking past them, stopping, and rubbing their leaves while smelling them. Kinda like a real-life Scratch 'N' Sniff experience.

We had a few in Seattle, but we had to leave them behind: trying to import plants is a pain. So, even though we've lived here for about six years, we didn't have any herbs.


But, about two weeks ago our local Aldi store had a few different types of potted herbs (in the teeny little "starter pots") for $2.50 each, so we picked up a few (I think three). Then the next day, while at Ikea, we picked up another flavor. I planted them in larger pots (I've discovered that pots need to have a certain minimum volume, or else they dry out too easily), after dividing the little bunches to "fluff them out" a bit.

The next week, I noticed that Aldi had discounted the herbs from $2.50 to $1.50. So I bought two more flavors. And a few days later, I bought one more flavor again.

In the photo, I've grouped the various flavors together. I think there's a total of nine edible types of herbs -- plus lavender, which probably isn't edible and which we already had, but needed re-potting.


It's nearby the workshop/storage shed: every time I go out there, I give a few of them a sniff.


--GG

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At December 25, 2010 8:36 AM, Anonymous Giovanna said...

Excellent! Nice smelling plants are a wonderful thing.
Just FYI, plants in terra cotta dry out faster than plants in plastic containers, as the t.c. pots are semi-porous.
Also, I've found it's good to leave an inch or two of some dirt insulation space between the edge of the pot and the plant's roots, as otherwise those roots get too hot from the sun.

 
At December 28, 2010 10:22 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

TC pots porous: good point.

Spacing in from edge: Good thought.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home