Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, December 02, 2010

I saw

My de facto hobby still appears to be sawing logs in half, the long way, by hand. Here's my latest (see photo). It's resting in a customize sawhorse I built myself: kind of a modified sawbuck.

When you saw them down the middle -- if you've done it right, and had a bit of luck -- it'll be a pleasing pattern and color.

I get the logs from work (the groundskeepers have given me standing permission to salvage stuff from their pile o' prunings), and from neighbors (after windstorms).

This one will probably end up as a waist-high bookshelf -- in a few years, once the wood has properly seasoned (i.e., dried to a stable moisture content).


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home