Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Insights into my psychology

Two things I did today might serve as insights into my psychology.


First, I was at the hardware store, buying some green(!!!) spray paint -- and discovered that they have glow in the dark spray paint!!! Two brands, even -- one for about AU$20, and the other for AU$23. So, I bought both -- just to see if there was a meaningful difference. (There was: the more expensive one glows much more strongly.)


Later today, I was at an antique store, and nearly bought a AU$25 child's stool: slightly rustic looking, and a clever and unique design. And I wouldn't be able to get a wooden stool at Ikea (or etc.) for any cheaper.

But as I was considering it, I realized I had mis-read the price: it was $35, not $25. Ah. And now that I was expecting $25, $35 didn't seem like such a bargain (although it was still a reasonable price, as these things go). Given that I was only somewhat in favor of buying it at $25 (rather than being overwhelmingly in favor), that price change made me uncertain. But I decided that if I could negotiate a discount for paying cash (rather than putting it on a credit card, which charges the merchant a 3% (?) handling fee, I'd go for it.

I took it to the lady at the checkout counter and offered thirty bucks -- but she said that she wasn't allowed to give discounts on anything less than a hundred dollars. Fine then: no sale.


SO: I'm a guy that will pay an extra twenty-three bucks for an (arguably redundant) can of glow-in-the-dark spray paint -- just to do a comparison test for the somewhat better one -- but won't pay an extra five bucks on a thirty dollar stepstool.

Granted: at that price point, I was ambivalent over the stool -- but excited over the glow-in-the-dark paint. I mean: glow-in-the-dark. The possibilities...!!!


--GG

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 01, 2010 2:45 PM, Blogger slag said...

You could use the less glowy paint as the undercoat. It's actually a pretty good buy if you think of it that way.

That said, I'm not convinced this story tells us much about you we didn't already know :).

 
At August 02, 2010 8:29 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Addendum: Tried the cheaper paint on some outdoors things. It only holds its glow for a few seconds, before fading out. So, not very good.

That said, with a strobe light or a strong flashlight, you could do some interesting "science museum" effects if you painted the wall with this: shadows that last 5-10 seconds.

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home