Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Parental guilt

2yo is a dangerous age: they're **fast** -- but gots no sense.

We were at swimming today, and while my back was turned (I was talking to the front desk person, with my daughter going "Daddy! Daddy!" -- so I was doubly distracted), my youngest climbed up the side of a steel stool with a plastic seat.

The whole thing -- slowly -- toppled over onto him, with the edge of the seat whacking him across the lower forehead. He now has a hairline cut, and a fairly large welt which is turning into an impressive bruise. Every time I look at it, I feel guilty...

He seems o.k., though. But I feel **bad**...


--GG

4 Comments:

At February 08, 2010 8:23 AM, Anonymous kansaslutheran said...

Yes, they are faster than you ever thought possible. When my daughter was about that age, she pushed herself using the oven which was turned to broil. I was on the phone, saw it was going to happen and was too late. She blistered her first two fingers pretty badly, but when I called the nurse, she said it sounded like soaking them in cold water would do the trick. It did, but I still felt like the world's worst parent for a long time. If you feel that badly about it, you're probably not such a bad parent. ;-)

 
At February 08, 2010 10:53 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Kansas L. -- Thanks for that. :)

--GG

 
At February 18, 2010 2:17 AM, Blogger slag said...

Just don't start putting the kid on a leash, and you'll be ok. These things happen. It's a learning process.

 
At March 11, 2010 12:28 PM, Anonymous Giovanna said...

Maybe one trick is to ALWAYS believe there is a rabid dog sneaking around, who will BITE your child if he gets the chance, and give your child rabies. You could also just get your child a rabies shot, but then the whole trick to always keeping an eye on him would be lost....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home