Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Using grandpa things

Well, today I sharpened a handsaw, using my (paternal) grandpa's saw vice and one of his triangular files (including the wooden knob-shaped handle he made). My setup is at left: an old chair, and a 2" x 4" permanently nailed to my Stump of Many Purposes.

I work three days a week, and watch the boys two days a week. When the back porch is sufficiently shady, I get some woodworking things done while keeping an eye on the boys through the patio door.



Below is another view. As you can see, the saw vice clamps the saw so that the teeth are easily accessible. I've clamped it to the piece of wood that also serves as a benchhook, for sawing small and mid-sized pieces. The notch in the end is for holding cylindrical pieces of metal, when I'm filing the ends or sides.



On a related note, I was splitting a small log a few days ago (to minimize the cracking on the ends while it dries; I don't yet have the capacity to mill it into lumber), and I realized that five of my six splitting wedges came from my grandpa. Pretty neat.


Here's the green tote I used to bring my Hammer of Thor and the splitting wedges outside:



Here's the split, in progress:



And, here's a closer look:


As you can probably see, I've tended to put my (paternal) grandpa's initials on the tools that I got from his workshop -- just so I (and my kids) know which ones were his.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home