Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Finally guitar

To illustrate what my life has been like: Today, while watching the kids, I decided -- Hey -- to go get the green electric guitar that my wife gave me for Christmas, the Heavy Metal distortion pedal she also gave me for Christmas, and my red Gorilla amp (small, but with good tone), and set up in the kitchen. I think this is the first time that I've actually plugged in since mid-December.

I **could** -- and **should** play electric guitar more. But for some reason, I don't. Part of it is a current lack of good space to set up. Part of it is that when the kids are around, they want to try it out, too -- which means that I don't get to. And part of it is just time, inclination, and a zillion other things.

But at the heart of it: it tickles me to no end to plug in and play. I should do it more often.

My compromise position over the last month has been to keep my bunged-up old acoustic guitar handy, and noodle around on that, now and again, while watching the kids. That works o.k. But it's not quite the same.


--GG

2 Comments:

At March 11, 2010 12:22 PM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

Hmmmm, the post after this one said you didn't have enough time and were up until 2 a.m. working on the project.....Maybe avoiding playing until the project is done would help minimize late nights?

 
At March 12, 2010 11:09 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

The operative phrase was ''while watching the kids''. There are things that I can do while watching the kids -- things that can be accomplished with intermittent interruptions -- and things that can't.

The stuff I do for work tends to be ''deep brain work'': difficult to do while also supervising children.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home