Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, August 31, 2009

Movie review of Vanilla Sky

I enjoyed Vanilla Sky (Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz) far more than I expected to. I thought it would be much more non-linear, ''artsy'', and hard to follow -- but it wasn't. (Tuesdays is the $1.95 day at the local video rental place; I like watching DVDs while I fold laundry; and I'd heard good things about Vanilla Sky.)

Entertaining; enjoyable; made me think (but thankfully, not during the movie!). A minor flash of nudity, and a moderate amount of the F-word (for those that keep track of those things - e.g. for watching it with youngsters). Also: two or three pretty darned explicit references to some soxual practices (yikes).

Good ending (note: I hate ambiguous endings; this one was only mildly ambiguous). A bit sad (IMO, anyhow). And -- curiously -- the character made a different path than what I would have.

It was good enough that I now need to go search out the Spanish movie upon which this version was based.

Also: the main character is named David -- so if you, too, are named ''David'', you might be amused to have Tom Cruise playing a rich and powerful version of yourself.


Sorry I'm being a bit oblique -- but there's a few twists in it, which I don't want to spoil.


(Today's photo has nothing to do with this post. My dad sent it to me, I liked it, and I thought I'd share.) :)


--GG

2 Comments:

At November 14, 2009 12:57 PM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

I thought it was creepy, and somewhat depresing, but if one likes creepy movies, then it definitely has a good plot.

 
At November 15, 2009 12:43 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

I'd probably say more ''spooky'' or ''freaky'' than ''creepy''.

But, yes.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home