Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 10, 2009

Time is consuming us

So, I have until the first of April to get my (very!) revised Dissertation off to my committee.

I was going along, making fairly good progress -- reverting back to my ''get the kids to bed, the work from 10pm 'til 2am'' routine.

But.

Monday, I watched the kids during the day. Then The Lady comes home, feeling poorly. I spend the evening looking after kids, plus helping to clean up vomit. Late night for everyone. No Dissertation work.

Tuesday, The Lady stays home from work; I look after the kids. Tuesday night, I stay up 'til 3am, doing work stuff that I'd meant to do Monday, and that I needed done by around lunchtime on Wednesday. So, no Dissertation work.

Wednesday, I get in to work, finish off what I'd been too tired to finish the night (or ''morning'') before. Finished it in time -- but felt poorly. Not sure whether it was lack of sleep, or that I'd caught whatever The Lady had. Went home around 5pm, and felt worse. Yep: The Lady's stomach bug. Went to bed around 8pm. No Dissertation work.

Thursday, usually would go in to work, but didn't. Cancelled my 11am meeting. Slept most of the day. Luckily, The Lady was feeling a bit better, so she wrangled the kids while I slept, slept, slept. Still feeling poorly, though: went to bed around 10pm, rather than stay up to work on Dissertation.

Friday (today): The Lady not much better -- although I am. I get winded surprisingly easy, though -- although perhaps not shockingly surprising, as I've only had a bowl of soup and a fistful of soda crackers in the last 48 hours. Eat some ''normal'' food, which helps a lot. Stomach feels normal. The boys are unwell, though: hard to get B2 to sleep, but finally succeed around 9:30pm. **Finally** get to work on Dissertation tonight -- although will go to bed ''early'' -- i.e. at midnight or 1am, not 2am.


Mildly concerned about ''progress-to-time-remaining'' ratio -- but not yet freaking out.

Yet. :)


On the plus side: while trying to get B2 to settle, tonight, got to [re-]watch three episodes of The Office tonight.


--GG

4 Comments:

At April 11, 2009 1:30 AM, Anonymous Charles Dickens said...

You have until WHEN?

 
At April 11, 2009 2:12 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

You'll need to build a time machine as well :-)

 
At April 11, 2009 2:28 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

On an unrelated note, upon reviewing your profile I noted that you're also 40. It was one thing when I turned 40. Another when you had kid (and subsequent kids). But... having the memory of an energetic aspiring physics student jumping up and down and climbing the halls like a monkey, and finding out that he's now also 40... well, now I feel old. :-)

 
At April 11, 2009 8:15 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Charles Dickens/deadline: Doh! Still a bit groggy; yeah, I keep doing that. May 1st, I mean.

(Hm. Can't figure out which fan is Charles Dickens.)


D*la: Don't worry -- I'm still reasonably spry. But, yeah: many years...


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home