Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Music rituals

I just put the boys down for their nap a few minutes ago. The ritual is that around 11am, on the days that I stay home with the boys, we all lie down in ''The Cage'' -- a double-sized playpen that I rigged up -- and they fall asleep. Depending on how much sleep I'd achieved the night before, I fall asleep as well; other times I get up and do productive things -- usually with a two-hour window.

For the last week, I've been putting on one of my favorite albums, on ''repeat'', and listening to it as I lie there. Doing this made me realize that I never actually **listen** to music: I just put it on as a background for when I'm typing, or doing things around the house.

Back when I was a semi-swinging single, there was a period when I'd put on a CD and listen to it as I fell asleep: the lyrics; the instrumentation; how one song flowed -- or contrasted -- with the next. Somehow, I got out of the habit of doing that.

I should start doing that again. But, I'm married: so, with headphones. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home