Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Distilling all yer stuff

About two(?) years ago, when my grandpa moved to an assisted-care place, he had to distill everything in his house into one mid-sized bedroom.

At this point in my life, I'd have a hard time doing that. Among other things, that precludes a lot of hobbies: gardening; woodworking (although you could do some small-time carving).

And it would limit a lot of other things, such as music recording: if you just played one instrument -- maybe a trumpet, or a violin -- you could fit it in. But if you're like me, where you'd want a drum kit, a guitar amp, a bass amp... well, I **suppose** you could work it out.

It's an interesting mental exercise, though: it's like going back to living in a dorm room.


(For those of you whom I think read my blog on a semi-regular basis, my grandpa's room size was comparable to...

Slag -- about the size of the ''computer room'', if the closet extended out sideways towards the desk [or at least, where the desk USED to be.

Old Roommate -- about three-fourths of the size of room where you hosted Belinux when I stayed with you guys a while back.

Fencing guy -- about the size of the funny-shaped [but in a fun way!] bedroom you guys have.)


Having a computer would help, as a lot of stuff could be "condensed" onto the computer: CDs could be converted to audio files; you could do your recording onto the computer; if you were a good keyboardist, you could emulate most instruments with a MIDI synthesizer.

Oh: And you wouldn't need cooking stuff, in that situation. Although this also means that if your hobby was cooking, you'd be limited: you'd be stuck with whatever medium-quality cooking tools were available in the shared kitchen.


I could probably condense down, if I had to. But I like my ''stuff'' too much: all my spare parts, and all my sentimental keepsakes.

Someday, though , it may happen.


--GG

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2008 8:50 AM, Blogger slag said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Trying to get rid of stuff. Mostly clothes. But I'm torn between wanting to be prepared and wanting to be minimal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home