Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, July 28, 2008

Age into priority shift

When I was twenty- two, I wanted to make my living off being in a touring rock band. But now I want to stay home and nest.

It's hard to tell whether it's age -- I'm now thirty-eight, not twenty-two -- or having a family (3yo daughter; two baby boys). Part of it's having a house, instead of living in an apartment.

The interesting thing is that my ''hobby'' priorities have shifted as well. Yeah, I'm still looking forward to having some square footage where I can set up my music gear and start recording my backlog of songs. But I think I'm even more interested in cleaning up the yard (we have an invasive species of shrub along the side and back of our yard that I want to get rid of) and building useful things out of wood for the house.

And every time I look out the back window, or walk through the yard to my car, I think about building a potting shed for The Lady, or a playhouse for the kids. (The Girl has it in her head that she wants a treehouse. Not sure where she got that idea.) Also a gazebo thing for The Lady. And some sort of wooden climbing structure for the kids (mostly for The Girl; she's quite the climber).

At the moment, I'm not ''allowed'' to do yardwork: Mowing the lawn takes about half a day, and that's time I need to be spending on the Dissertation. I still have a few months to go on the Dissertation, but once I finish it up, I have a lovely ''To Do'' list I can tuck in to.

Looking forward to it.


--GG

(image from http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=12251424)

1 Comments:

At August 01, 2008 1:33 PM, Blogger timidvenus said...

that is the COOLEST treehouse. ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home