Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Love my wife's expensive family

My wife's family -- her folks, her sibs and their spouses, and their kids (i.e. my nieces and nephews) are great. So usually, it's pretty swell having them all live in town.

The main down side in in August: birthdays.

Everyone gets a birthday gift -- even the grown-ups. So, my nephew, niece, and brother-in-law are on Aug. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. My wife's mum is somewhere mid-August-y. And my daughter. And a few other folks, whom I don't remember off the top of my head.

If you include my parents (late July), then we have seven or eight birthday gifts to buy within a one-month period. Yow. Not cheap (and a lot of ''what the heck do we buy [name of person]...?")-ing.


OTOH: lots of cake! :)


--GG

(P.S. I don't know who this ''Blake'' kid is -- it was just one of the hits for a Google search on ''green birthday cake'' -- from http://www.littledanceinvitations.com/Images/Cakes/500%20pix/Large%20Green%20Frog%20Cake%20copy.jpg)

2 Comments:

At August 09, 2008 3:28 PM, Blogger slag said...

My guess is that you all have the same feelings. Maybe you all should just draw names from a hat and only buy one gift in Aug. Just a thought.

Although that cake looked good.

 
At August 09, 2008 10:21 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yeah, good thought.

Although, I'm a bit too consumeristic for that: when it's MY turn, I like **receiving** the gifts! :)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home