Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Something I never thought I'd say

Fatherhood is interesting.

I never thought I'd utter the phrase, "Go to Mommy and get another penguin, please."


It'd be fun to leave it at that.

But the larger context is that The Girl received a ''penguin bowling'' set for her birthday a few months back. The penguins are inflatable, but need to be weighted down with some water -- which is what my wife was doing, in the kitchen.


Another interesting thing: After she'd been bowling for a while, The Girl asked me, "Do you want to have a go?"

This is the Aussie phrasing -- as opposed to "Do you want to have a turn?"

And yet, she calls 'em ''cookies'', not ''bikkies'' (biscuits). A linguistic mix.


--GG

1 Comments:

At April 06, 2008 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a lovely quote! Thank you for sharing!

A few weeks ago, for the first time ever, I was told, "Be careful -- You'll let out all the penguins!" when I had the fridge door open for some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home