Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, March 15, 2008

All the beautiful things

I've noticed that for the last five or so days, every evening sometime between 8pm and midnight I'll wander off to the other end of the house where we have our still-unpacked piles o' boxes, and thumb through one of the piles of tools I got from my grandpa.

One of these days, I'll have a workshop, where I can (1) unpack all my tools, and (2) actually use them, to build useful things.

And at least I get to heft the occasional saw or hammer or chisel, and turn it over in my hands and imagine it as part of a tidy and orderly array. It's been far longer since I've used the electric guitar or electric bass: no where good to set it up -- and besides, I'm supposed to be finishing a Dissertation, not having fun. (Having fun playing with my kids is allowed, though.)

For a number of reasons, I **need** to be done with my Dissertation by the end of the North American school year.


Ayep!


--GG


(Photo from a very good woodworking blog; specifically, the blog entry at http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/A+Nest+Of+Saws.aspx)

2 Comments:

At April 06, 2008 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally understand about the dissertation being yucky. However, what I decided when trying to finish my Master's degree, is that I am going to have to do it sooner or later, and I hated it hanging over my head, so I finally just made a schedule/timeline, and sat down and did it. There were too many opportunities the lack of completion was costing me!

 
At April 08, 2008 10:18 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yeah, tried that (making a schedule). Too many things kept coming up.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home