Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, March 17, 2008

Nearly a religious holiday to me

Well, I was somewhat disappointed today to see how few people wore green today -- or even realized that it was Saint Patrick's Day!!! St. P's Day is almost a religious holiday for me.

This is a video clip of the (almost) all-green outfit I wore to my lectures and tutorials today:


(Strangely, no audio got recorded. A glitch by the eee laptop? It worked when I did the "Princess Leia" footage.)


At the beginning of each lecture today, I asked the students whether they'd exchanged their St. Patrick's Day presents yet. Confused looks. "Ah!" I'd say. "You don't do your St. Patrick's Day gifts until the evening. Fair enough!" More confusion. "Oh. Maybe it's just my family, then."

Then I'd riff on how, on every St. Patrick's Day, St. Patrick would come down the chimney and leave little green mints under the shamrock tree in your living room. Then you each grab a side of the mint and pull -- and the person with the largest piece has good luck for the next seven days.


Actually, we don't do any of that stuff. But it's fun to mess with the students.


--GG

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 1:00 PM, Blogger timidvenus said...

very funny. i hope your st pat's was as relaxing and fun as mine.

throughly enjoying your blog.

 
At April 01, 2008 6:43 AM, Blogger slag said...

Dig the shorts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home