Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, October 22, 2007

Nice bench

Got this pic from a recent post at a woodworking blog I check in on. I shaved a copy to HD: for some reason, I'm informally collecting pictures of woodworking workbenches. Some guys like photos of sports cars; I do workbenches. Cheaper, less running costs, and smaller to store, I suppose. Although you can't use them to run errands; and you probably can't impress your teenage nephew as well as if you had a flashy red sports car.

I was talking to my wife this morning, half-complaining that I have too many interests: music (being in a band...); martial arts (classes 2-3 evenings a week...); woodworking. When am I really going to get the chance to pursue them?

For the next ten(?) years, I'll probably only be able to pursue one, possibly two; three is unlikely: a sad realization. Although the trade-off -- having the kidlets in my life -- is worth it.

I think the secret will be to figure out which I can do in conjunction with the kids. For example, I reckon that within two years, The Girl will be able to do stuff with me in the shop (I tend to use hand tools, not machines, so the risk of [serious] injury is minimal. And if they kids show any interest in martial arts, I might be able to train with them (or have them train with me), to one extent or another. And maybe, hopefully, the piano lessons will be a little more engaging if we're composing songs on the side, with Daddy making recordings of them.


So: we'll see. :)


--GG

(photo source: http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Three+New+Classes+At+Kelly+Mehlers+School+Of+Woodworking.aspx)

6 Comments:

At October 25, 2007 2:18 AM, Blogger slag said...

I admire your ability to be so multifaceted. I want to be. But I find that, whenever I get into something, I'm like a dog with a bone and won't let go until I've pulverized it completely. Better to have a lot of bones that you can chew on from time to time. Helps keep those teeth strong!

 
At October 25, 2007 11:54 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Molten Metal,


That's very kind of you to say. The flip side is that I feel like "Jack of all trades, master of none" -- esp. given the amount of time available to me.

Out of "X" number of hours available per week, if I had just one, focussed hobby, I'd probably be satisfied. (e.g. Three hours of woodworking? Not bad.) Instead, I'm destined to always feel like one of my interests is getting shorted.

Ah well. :)

The plus side is that I think my broad range of knowledge (although maybe not **deep** knowledge) informs and gives me insights that other folks might not get: I can draw parallels and cross-apply techniques from disparate realms.


--GG

 
At October 25, 2007 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I tend to use hand tools, not machines, so the risk of [serious] injury is minimal."

As one who has experience with both hand tools and machines, I have to say that all of my most serious injuries (granted not all that serious as I still have all my fingers and toes) have come from hand tools, so I'm not convinced that they're really any safer. Machines have a 'scare factor' that tends to keep you paying attention.

-GC

 
At October 25, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

GC,


Good thought. Maybe it depends... (I remember your knife-meets-finger accident when you were working construction).


It depends: With a **sharp** tool, you're less likely to have problems.

And it takes a **lot** more dedication to cut your finger off with a hand saw than with a bandsaw or table saw...

Not to say that you **can't** injure yourself with hand tools: But it tends to be get fixed with a bandage, or maybe some stitches -- but not require microsurgery. :)

(Feel free to rebut via. my blog "comments" section -- or off-list.) :)


--GG

 
At October 27, 2007 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird. I really like work benches, but every time I see that work bench, I keep thinking of a medieval torture rack . . .

 
At October 27, 2007 11:59 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Maybe it's the tools spread out? Or the B&W nature of the photo?

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home