Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, October 15, 2007

Older than thou

I am now officially Old(TM). Was teaching my class today -- a first-year course at a university -- and realized that none of them were alive when I graduated from high school.

I asked 'em, and yep -- confirmed. Except for one lady, who said she'd been alive for half a year.

A room full of people who don't recall a time when cassette decks, not CDs, were the standard mode of playing albums.


Old, old, old... :)


--GG

4 Comments:

At October 20, 2007 1:53 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

The next question you should ask them is if they've ever purchased a CD. Or purchased any music for that matter. It's mind-blowing to me how many kids these days have never purchased any music... they've gotten it all free.

 
At October 20, 2007 1:57 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

But... legally? :)

Yeah: I'll have to use that question.


--GG

 
At October 20, 2007 7:06 AM, Blogger slag said...

Way to lift the spirits, GG. I'll remember this.

 
At October 20, 2007 2:15 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

No, not legally. No one wants to pay for music anymore. No one seems to understands that this is someone's livelihood that they're stealing.

I don't like mp3s. Not because of any quality issue. I just like to have something physical to hold when I am listening to music. I like to read liner notes. I like to see who mixed it, who mastered it, who the band thanks, etc.

But I'm probably not your average music consumer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home