Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Imported wood

From my Seattle trip, brought back some filbert and some apple, both from my parents' yard (filbert = front yard; apple = back yard). They've been kind enough to keep it in the toolshed for the last few years.

Australian Quarantine doesn't like wood with the bark still on it (hides the nasties, and makes it hard to inspect for borer holes), so I earned Galoot-points by using my Dad's hatchet -- and my Grandpa's old chopping block, which is now in my parents' back yard -- to de-bark it.

The filbert is sufficiently hard, and has an interesting grain when flatsawn, to do something interesting -- maybe a jewelry box or drawer front. The apple will probably become a handplane or handsaw handle.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home