Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, July 23, 2007

Status report

My Guitar Cousin e-mailed me a few days ago -- which I'm just now replied to -- mentioning that he's recently purchased some mastering software, and has been going through some of our old stuff, transferring it from cassette to PC, and cleaning it up. He also asked if I'd be willing to serve as a second pair of ears. Flattered, I accepted.


He also asked how I'm doing.

I said I'm basically doing well. The whole ''moving house'' thing is a pretty big load: nothing like a household move, where you have to handle EACH SINGLE ITEM that you own, to make you realize how much STUFF ya gots.

And I'm doing the bulk of it, since The Lady is [very!] pregnant and shouldn't be lifting stuff -- plus, she has to look after The Girl I'm doing my stuff. And due to our proximity to the road, nearly every item, including the boxes that never got unpacked from the initial move to Australia, needs vacuuming before it's moved next door -- which leads to pretty large ''handling costs''.

And, little to no Dissertation work has happened the last two weeks, due to house-moving.

Ah well.


On a brighter note, I'm really looking forward to the CD of our stuff that Guitar Cousin will be sending me. He e-mailed me a pair of mp3 format snippets of what he's done with one of our garage 4-track recordings (him = guitar, vocs, songwriting; me = bass; Cpt. Crash = drums).

Wow! Even with my cheezy little walkman-style headphones -- and in mp3 format -- I could hear the difference. More highs (and upper mids?), possibly some bass, and tighter (multi-band compression?) all over. Remarkable. :)

One of my aims -- When I Finish My Dissertation -- and build the Mega-Shed, so I can set up my music gear, is to resume recording. I figure if I can just grab 2-3 hours per day on the weekend, I can record and mix 1-2 complete songs per month. Then I want to shop the "album" to a local Brisbane "indie" label.

I'm thinking that if my cousin is willing to do the mastering for me, I can toss him some small amount of money (to offset some music gear purchase?). At the very least, he'd be in the liner notes. :)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home