Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Good gig

Well, the church gig went well. On the first song, I started playing, but nothing came out of my amp! Had to diagnose the problem while the song trundled along without me. Figured it out, but by then the song was almost over. Didn't feel flustered at all, just ''Ah well...'' The guitarist and keyboardist didn't make any comment about it, so they may not have even noticed. ;)

Rest of it went well. A few minor screw-ups -- but again, probably not noticeable to people who are busy singing.

The Lady sang exquisitely, of course. She has a great voice: She was Dorothy in her high school production of ''The Wizard of Oz'', so she has the skills.

On one of the songs, I joined in on the singing, since I had -- for aesthetic reasons -- opted out of bass playing for that song. (The song needed to be light and floaty, and the bass would've ''grounded'' it too much, weighted it down.) Had fun, did pretty well [I think]. Due to the in-between key it was in (relative to my vocal range) did my tenor rather than my bass.

For the final song, we pulled out the stops and did this pretty rockin' song; partly for ease of learning (the song was introduced at the second-to-last practice), and partly for the aesthetics, I did a Ramones-y bassline: root note, all eighth-notes (except for a few change-ups at the start of the chorus). Surprised some folks, but we got applause at the end, and I got to rock back and forth while playing.

A good experience, but now I need to lock up the bass again: Playing again was good for the soul, but it's also been a diversion of my energies away from working on my Dissertation.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home