Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Better bass-ing

Except for Saturday(?) night, I've been practicing my church songs for a half hour to an hour per night. Sunday night I was feeling frustrated, as I'm **still** dropping major clinkers, for what really aren't **that** complicated basslines. Decided that if I'm not ''nearly-flawless'' by Thursday night's practice, then I'll bow out of Sunday's performance. My reasoning is that my contribution (as bass) isn't essential; and since the purpose of adding an instrument is to enhance the music, rather than detract from it, if my mistakes and glitches are going to be distracting, it's better if I just bow out.

Last night, however, I had my best practice session yet. It was helped not only by the use of my new, longer, guitar strap (green!!!) -- but also by my bothering to use a music stand, rather than laying the sheet music out on the kitchen table and playing while hunched over. Playing while properly standing let me move 'n' groove to the music; plus, when I biffed a note, I just kept going (which is what you're **supposed** to do). And, as I did in the practice before, I went through the songs sequentially, starting ''cold'' (as I'd do in a performance), running through all the songs, several times -- rather than practicing a song over and over before going to the next one, as I did in the earlier, ''learning'' stages.

I felt more ''in the groove'', standing with a proper rock star stance -- rather than hunching over a kitchen table. And I noticed, almost from the get-go, that I was actually smiling. And **that** is what it's all about. :)


On a more ''meh'' note, this morning as I walked past the entrance to the lot where our house is being built, I noticed that the right-hand gatepost was noticeably off-vertical. Clearly, some truck had nudged it when entering or leaving the property. Probably happened since this weekend, as I didn't notice it when I was taking pics of the building progress.

I'll give the site supervisor a call, and ask that it be shoved back in to position -- and that he perhaps have someone tie one o' them pink safety ribbons to it, to enhance its visibility.


--GG

1 Comments:

At October 26, 2006 2:12 AM, Blogger Kat Campbell said...

And in my next life I will be a rock star! Good for you jamming with the church choir. You're very brave, I look forward to reading about your phenomenal success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home