Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, October 20, 2006

Electric bass update

Went to a local music instrument store today: Had stopped by on Weds., but it was closed, with a ''under new management; opening Friday'' sign on the door (and butcher paper on the inside of the windows, so you couldn't see inside). So, today was their opening day. Only about 1/4 moved in -- lotsa blank wall, and boxes yet to be unpacked.

The new owner had owned the place until 2002, then sold it to some new folks -- who proceded to run a perfectly viable business into the ground. They liquidated, went into receivership -- and the original owner leased the place and re-started a new music shop.

I'm not surprised that the old place went out of business: I'd stopped by about half a year ago, looking for some ''spit balls'' -- dampened foam wads that you blow through your brass instrument (one size fits trumpets, trombones, etc.) to clean the insides. The lady behind the counter had never heard of 'em, but when I explained it to her, thought it was a clever idea. When I was browsing through the store, found 'em in the ''band instruments'' section. This means that (1) the store clerk didn't know anything about cleaning brass instruments, and (2) she wasn't aware of the products the shop carried. No wonder they went out of business...

Anyhow, I chatted with the new owner for about 45 minutes, including him helping me with my purchase. Orginally, I wanted a new patchcord because my electric bass would make crackly sounds, and occassionally cut out all together: If I'm indeed playing in church on the 29th, I need reliable equipment. And, neither of my electronic tuners were letting me tune my bass; toying with buying a new tuner.

The helpful owner/salesguy found batteries for the AU$32 [US$24]chromatic tuner (good price! and both my existing tuners are limited to the notes of the open guitar strings), but I still wasn't getting a reading. He suggested I run it through one of their amps, which I did. He then jiggled the cord, and suggested that it was the instrument jack itself, not the cord, that was the problem. (A quick visual confirmed that it was way oxidized.) Need to go to Dick Smith's for some contact cleaner.

So, after some internal debate, I put back the instrument cable and the tuner. But, I did end up buying: (1) a soft case [have just been carrying the bass back and forth ''bare'', letting it slide around in the trunk of the car]; (2) a longer [and green!] guitar strap, as the current one was uncomfortably short for me [I felt cramped]; and (3) a fresh set of strings [I've never changed these strings, inthe twelve(?) years I've owned the bass -- the G-string has visible rust.

My neice is applying for her first job (summer job; southern hemisphere and all that). I suggested that music store, as it's a ten minute drive (they live next door to us), and she plays both piano and clarinet.

With two evenings' exceptions, I've been good about practicing my church music every single night. Last night I goofed up more than usual, but that could be because I'd skipped practicing the night before.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home