Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Allergies and basslines

Since Friday, I've taken to setting the kitchen timer for 45 minutes, every time I begin eating a new item. Example: PBJ sandwich, set timer. Then, not eating any different item during that 45 minute window. That way, if I get an allergic reaction, I can more easily pinpoint the cause.

Just being systematic.

However, haven't paid particular notice to the things I eat when we're out and about. Like, today I was at a BBQ, and also a birthday party. Ate the weenies, potato salad, etc. -- no spacing or staggering their timing. Not completely logical, I realize; just easier to do the overkill at home, I suppose.

I still reckon it was the potatoes.


On the music front: Spent almost exactly an hour last night (Saturday), and an hour tonight, going through the sheet music for the church service two Sundays away. **Much** improved! Mostly, just had to figure out where Bb and Eb were -- plus make some stylistic choices about where to play certain notes (i.e. which octave -- jump up, or jump down?). I can tell that I'm deviating from the ''official'' basslines -- but I like how my version sounds, better. Actually getting some swing, some groove.

Tried out a few fills, but decided they were distracting to the intended mood of the songs. My style of bass playing tends to involve playing with the timing and phrasing, and how many times a note is played -- rather than adding **additional** notes in (i.e. runs and fills). (Example: The sheet music says to play a bunch of whole notes and half notes; but I tend to play the suggested note, but many times, mimicking the phrasing of the vocal line.)

If I had my music gear set up, I'd pop off a mp3'd example for ya. But, I don't; sorry.


Very much looking forwards to my next ''band practice'', on Tuesday; and really enjoying having a focus to my practicing, rather than just the noodling I've been doing as of late (when I actually **have** been practicing). Doing my spirits good. :)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home