Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Eat dessert first

I think it was Paul Reiser, in his Couplehood book, who said that one of the great things about being a grown-up is that you can eat dessert first, if you want. (It's an enjoyable book, by the way: a quick read, lightly humorous, and with some good insights about partnering up.) And someone or other coined the bumper-sticker phrase ''Life is short: East dessert first.''

I say this because today I microwaved my lunch -- some ''pasta plus flavoring powder, heat for ten minutes'', to which I usually add some frozen veggies -- and was walking back to my office when a co-worker offered me some pastries. She was surprised that I started eating it immediately, as opposed to taking it back to my desk and eating it after my pasta-based lunch.

I hadn't really thought about this tendency before. But, yeah -- I tend to do that. Mostly, I told her, it's because I know I'll finish my semi-nutritious lunch anyhow, so the order doesn't really matter.

The other reason for my eating the pastry immediately, rather than waiting, is that whenever I cook -- as opposed to ''re-heat'' -- something in the microwave, I then need to wait ten minutes for it to cool down. And I'm hungry **now**!!! :)


Which is why I tend to just eat leftover pizza (and Chinese food) cold, rather than re-heating it: It takes time to re-heat it, and then more time to let it cool. I can't be bothered. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home