Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wonky work PC -- resolution

No work on Monday: public holiday, ''Easter Monday'' (since Easter always falls on a Sunday...). Brought my wonky ''surplus'' PC back in to work over the weekend, and left a note for the Very Nice I.T. Guy; also e-mailed a message.

Today (Tuesday), the Very Nice I.T. Guy took a look, ran some tests, and came to the conclusion that there was indeed something flawed with the surplus PC I'd bought.

My manager offered me the option of backing out of the deal, but I'd cut one single check for bother the ''new'' PC and the mega-tower. Besides, by now the check was probably already deep into the university system.

Instead, I agreed to buy a surplus PC that's the next notch down: 2.4 rather than 2.7GHz; same size HD (40GB), 624MB of RAM, rather than a full Gig.

The original asking price, when my manager was surplussing them to us, was AU$100 cheaper than the one I originally wanted (which went bad). To compensate -- and knowing that he was just going to cannibalize the wonky PC for parts -- I suggested I take the hard drive (40GB) from the wonky machine, plus the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, plus an extra half-Gig of RAM from that machine, which will bring my machine up to a full gigabyte. Based on Aussie prices for computer gear, this works out pretty close to even.


Everyone's happy. Closed deal. :)


Took it home, and it actually appears to work. Yay!


--GG




Addendum: Based on a recent computer-stuff ad, you can now get PCs with 3.66GHz processors, internal hard drives up to 250GB, and 1 GB of RAM (or possibly more, but I don't see any listed in this ad). Just the same, a two-point-something GHz processor is perfectly adequate for what I'll be doing: short-term, using the scanner and extracting digital photos (and hopefully soon, digital video); longer-term, video editing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home