Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Wonky home PC: further keyboard adventures

As I mentioned earlier, The Lady's computer (which she never uses; I do) isn't recognizing the PS/2 keyboard. A nuisance, as it won't continue booting -- just gives a ''no keyboard'' error and stops.

Borrowed my USB keyboard from work, for the weekend. If this works, I'll go buy an inexpensive one for myself.

The BIOS now recognizes the USB keyboard enough to continue booting -- but now I get a ''no mouse'' error. Looks like the PS/2 port for the mouse is also broken.

And, even though it recognizes the USB keyboard as being a keyboard, it doesn't recognize it to the degree that it'll actually take input from it. Heh. So, I'm in Win98, but with no mouse, and a keyboard that doesn't pass input. Pretty useless.


Tried a USB mouse instead of the PS/2 mouse. Computer doesn't recognize it sufficiently to render it useable.


Hm. Well, the error message said to try a ''PS/2 or serial mouse.'' Even though we never finished unpacking our home office, I managed to find an old serial port mouse within a matter a minutes (Yay!!!), and jacked that in. Seems to work.

So: Finally up and running, at a semi-functional level. Win98 succeeded in booting. The USB keyboard is recognized as ''a keyboard'' -- and even recognizes it as a Dell keyboard -- but still won't take input.

Luckily, Win98 is mousey-based, so I can at least burn the CD-Rs I've been meaning to do! Just can't type in any labels for the new CD-Rs. Dragged-and-dropped the files from the CD-RW I did at work; opened up the CD-burning app on The Lady's computer; and burned me some Linux installation disks: Trustix 3.0 and Ark Linux 2005.1.


We'll see how they go, on the mega-tower PC.

But, not tonight. :)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home