Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 14, 2006

Found the pitch

Recently, I wrote about how I'd tried to play a single note on my trombone at a co-worker's funeral -- and had flopped it.

Got out my trombone, said an ''ohmmm...'' out loud to get the sound -- and within about three seconds found the correct pitch. Right where I expected it to be (if I didn't consciously think about it). Held it good, steady, and strong -- in the bathroom, though, with the doors and windows closed, since it was after 9:30 at night.

Well! That reassured me quite a bit. Not that my brass-playing skills are at all noteworthy, but it might not have been my tin ear that causes my problems, but rather my lack of cardiovascular robustness -- and maybe a little bit of emotion at the time: hard to control the buzzing of your lips when they're quivering just a bit.


Anyhow, I guess I don't have the suckage as a musician. Or at least, not the complete suckage.

None the less, I still plan on creating a short track on my next ''album'' called ''the note I should've played''. It'll consist of a drone note, with some harmonies and additional harmonies coming in, building to a peak -- then abruptly cutting off. We'll see if I can manage to incorporate the trumpet and coronet in there, too.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home