Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wonky computer

Hm.

The Lady had to do some class prep this morning, so we came in earlier than usual. I took a few minutes to pop the top of the second, newer surplus PC I'm buying from work -- it's sitting on the floor next to my desk.

Appears to be room for an additional HD: good. Only two RAM slots: too bad (although it has 1GB already, so that should be fine for my purposes. Three unused PCI slots: good (only has a network card; needs a modem).

Also found a heatsink just floating around the insides. Hm -- not good. Who knows what it's bonked up against. Plus, I hear what sounds like a small washer or screw sliding around on the bottom. Generally, I don't like teeny bits of metal wandering around my circuitboards.

Haven't paid for the machine yet, so talked to my manager and tried to trade it in for another, less-fancy unit, rather than muck around with something potentially dodgy. But he was reluctant to do that; instead, he said I should have one of the IT guys check it out.

Yeah, maybe I'm just being skittish. It's just that I already have two dead PCs out on the veranda, plus one more still in the office. Don't need a ''new, used'' one to add to the collection.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home