Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Stupid questions?

So, I'm bidding on a contract (on behalf of my research center), and this Tender Document asks the goofiest things. I mean, I understand why they're getting into this level of detail: being legalistic, covering themselves, making sure the (eventual) contractor can actually perform the tasks that are needed.

But still -- sheesh.


Example #1: ''Describe your ability to provide results in a cross-tabular form.''

(Translation: Can you generate percentage tables?)

Umm, running cross-tabs. Well, you'd:

-Use a spreadsheet program or statistical software package;
-Open up the data;
-Select the ''tables'' option from the drop-down menu, or type in the ''generate table'' command in the command line window;
-Choose the relevant variables; and
-Either click ''OK'' or hit ''Enter''. Ayep.


Example #2: ''Demonstrate ability to aggregate/dissaggregate data at a regional and/or organizational level.''

(Translation: Can you break down results by region and/or company?)

Umm --

-Click the ''Select if [name of variable] = [desired value]'' option -- or include in your syntax statement the relevant ''select if [name of variable] = [desired value]'' command.

-And then run a table, or run your regression, or whatever.

(Or, you could even do a nested table (three-way table), and have your intersecting variables of interest (e.g. level of satisfaction vs. organization) separated out by region; do this by (again) choosing the relevant variables for the row, column, and super-column, or by typing the variables in the correct order into your syntax or command line.)


All of the things they ask for are reasonable abilities to require -- but they're so darned basic that it's really hard to ''describe'' or break down into words. Makes me feel like I'm taking an essay exam for some ''Intro to Social Science Research Methods'' class.

I think I've figured out why this is getting to me:

(1) It's the requirement to ''describe'' that gets me. If they just want us to attest that, yeah, we're able to do this stuff -- sure!

(2) They're asking really basic, ''two-clicks-of-the-mouse'' types of tasks, but overlooking processes that actually requires some thought/skill/awareness -- like:
-the treatment of missing values;
-re-coding and aggregating variables; and
-just general data-cleaning.


Weak analogy: Applying for a network administrator, programming, or web-design position. ''Please describe the process you would use for burning data onto a CD-R.'' (Well, you open the CD-burning application... open the tray to the CD-ROM drive... insert the blank media...)


It's not quite at the level of being insulting -- but certainly, a bit tedious to write up.

OTOH, I'm paid by the hour... ;) Part of the job.


--GG

1 Comments:

At September 14, 2005 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of work. When I first applied for a job in the public service I was asked about communication skills. I thought they wanted to know about how I could convince people of my point of view with my dazzling negotiation skills. No. They wanted know if I could use a phone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home