Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Save that avocado!!!

I think this was a pretty Galoot-ish thing to do. ("Galoot" = one who uses hand-tools over electron-burners, and generally does things the hands-on, archiac way for the fun of it; see OldTools mailing list.)

A few months ago I went on an avocado kick -- ate an avocado a day. This lasted about a week, at which point I got dosed out on them.

The avocado skins seemed kind of leathery, and it seemed a shame just to toss them. Thought I could make some sort of useful container out of them.

On my first attempt, washed out the insides with soap and water, and left them on a shelf in my air-conditioned office. They dried too quickly, though, and curled inwards; they also became brittle.

For my second attempt, I scraped out the inside with a spoon, but didn't worry too much about any remaining residue. I then covered the skin inside and out with boiled linseed oil. Set them aside to dry outdoors, under cover.

Success! Sturdy, slightly flexible, and non-cracked.


Months later, they're still good; sturdy, intact. In addition to the two shown here, I have two other pairs. But, umm -- not sure what to do with 'em. Paper clip holders?


--GG

3 Comments:

At September 07, 2005 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis, you are a nut! But an eco-friendly one. Re posting about push ups, I remember my Dad doing push-ups with various and assorted of us on his back--also sit-ups with us sitting on his feet. It's a Dad thing!

 
At September 07, 2005 10:33 PM, Blogger K. said...

Nifty! Maybe you can sell your idea to Martha Stewart Inc. I'll have to remember this tip in case I am ever stranded on a desert island with some avocados. And some linseed oil.

Save the Avocado! might make a good T-shirt slogan.

-K.

 
At September 18, 2005 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you have some extra guacamole you need to store, you can hinge one side and make a lid!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home