Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Linguistic patterns from old co-worker's

I tend to adopt speaking patterns from friends and former co-workers -- although my wordage can fade in and out. Using ''-idge'' as a suffix, for example, comes from a guy I knew in high school. Friend of a good friend, used to put ''-itch'' at the end of words (e.g. ''lunch-ich''). Used to drive me nuts -- but then years later I noticed I was doing a variation of it.

The last day or two, noticed I've been saying ''Yeeowp'' (descending voice, moderately drawn-out) instead of ''Ayep.'' Got that from Joel Johnson when I worked at The Packaging Store in the Seattle Area.

So, Joel (or someone who knows Joel) -- you get credit for one of my speech-isms!

Ayep! (Boy-howdy.)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home