Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Necktie price increase

Every Wednesday here on campus, there's a mini- street fair over by the main cafeteria/student center area. There's two stands that sell ''vintage'' (i.e. used) clothing. Both sell neckties, five bucks each. So, every Wednesday on my way to pick up some lunch I wander by, browse through, and pick up one to three ties (but usually just one). Usually, the more grotesque the better.

I'll have to get around to taking a photo of some of them. I've been doing this since I started this job, so I've picked up around fifteen ties, I'd say.

One of the stalls doesn't have as wide of a range, and the owner leaves around 12:30, so I don't always manage to look through her selection of ties. The other one, though, is there pretty much all day, and actually notifies me if she's received a new selection.

Unfortunately, today she notified me that she's raised her prices to ten bucks a tie: after cleaning them, the handling just isn't worth it to her for five bucks each. Fair enough: she's in a business.

But, it means that I can't justify a tie a week any more. Five bucks a pop -- sure! Ten bucks -- ehhh. No longer an ''impulse buy'' sort of thing.

Guess I'll just have to frequent the other lady's shop. Or limit it to every other week.


Bummer.


--GG

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2005 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, you win for the most obscure habit. I'll need to come up with something better, although I doubt I can even compete now ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home